RSS

Off-Season Tomato Sauce


I have a confession to make: I'm not a big fan of authentic Italian cuisine. Having sampled authentic Italian cooking in Rome and Florence, I've realized that my Americanized taste buds just need something more. I'm conditioned to over-seasoning, rather than appreciating the natural flavors that come from fine ingredients.

With that said, I also feel obligated to know something about authentic Italian cooking. Primarily for 2 reasons:
  1. Most of our favorite Americanized dishes have roots in other cultures. In order to come up with my own spins on these dishes, it's important to me that I start from a traditional base.
  2. Some traditional dishes (such as this tomato sauce) can serve as a strong base for other creations. While this may not be the world's most exciting tomato sauce, what happens when I turn it into Arrabiata? Stay tuned, and you'll see!
With that said, I give unto you, a reasonably authentic version of a Northern Italian tomato sauce. One that should serve you well when fresh tomatoes are not in season.

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb pasta
  • 1 lb canned San Marzano tomatoes
  • 3/4 cup diced onion
  • 1 tablespoon carrot (minced)
  • 1 tablespoon celery (minced)
  • 3 tablespoons Italian parsley (minced)
  • 3 tablespoons fresh basil (minced)
  • 2 cloves garlic (minced)
  • 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • Kosher salt
  • Fresh ground black pepper
  • Parmigiano reggiano
Method:

You should be able to prepare the entire dish in the time it takes the pasta to cook.

While the salted pasta water is coming to a boil, heat the olive oil in a pan. Once it’s warmed up, add the mirepoix (onion, celery and carrots). Sauté until onions are translucent. Add parsley and garlic, and continue to sauté for another minute.

When the water starts boiling, add the pasta (I like linguini).

Crush the tomatoes (by hand) as you add them to the mix. Include the juice that the tomatoes are packed in. Add the basil. Bring to a boil, and add salt and pepper to taste.

Once the pasta and the sauce are finished to your liking, mix the two together and top with fresh grated parmigiano reggiano.

To learn more about authentic Northern Italian cooking, check out The Splendid Table.

PDF version of this recipe, suitable for printing.

RSS: Subscribe to this feed.
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments: